Sunday 14 September 2014

OSD600/DPS909: First Glance at Node.js

I firstly heard about the Node.js from my friend, who worked at CDOT @ Seneca. He told me Node.js is a server side Javascript and his main job was working with Node.js. Then I got the frist impression about Node.js, which is a JavaScript library in server side.

Now I take the course Open Source Development. Node.js is one of the topics in the list of the Case Study. To be honest, Node.js is the only topic that I have heard about. It is an opportunity for me to dig out what is Node.js and how it works on the server.

This is what is Node.js on Wikipedia:
“Node.js is a cross-platform runtime environment for server-side and networking applications. Node.js applications are written in JavaScript, and can be run within the Node.js runtime on OS XMicrosoft Windows and Linux with no changes.

And according to the Wikipedia, Node.js is gaining popularity and is adopted as a high-performance server-side platform by Groupon, SAP, LinkedIn, Microsoft, Yahoo!, Walmart, and PayPal.

In nodejs.org, Node.js is described as follows:
“Node.js® is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily building fast, scalable network applications. Node.js uses an event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run across distributed devices.”

Here it provides more information about Node.js. It describes that Node.js uses an even-driven, non-blocking I/O model, which I will find out what the meaning of these words are later.

The first project I work on in OSD600 is to enable Filter have “du” functionality as Unix does. Filer is a POSIX-like file system interface for node.js and browser-based JavaScript. It seems that my research on Node.js will be helpful on my first project. And I may keep work on Filer in my later projects, or may switch to MakeDrive (MakeDrive is a JavaScript library and server (node.js) that provides an offline-first, always available, syncing filesystem for the web.), which I am interest in.


Source: 

No comments:

Post a Comment